Mazlows Heirachy of Needs



Hello all


I found Kunc's reading on Mazlows Heirachy of Needs very interesting; I have learnt there is more to human survival in this day and age than just the three basic needs: food, water and shelter. Once this critera is met, we feel all have the right to feel safe and secure from the dangers in our world such as abuse, terrorism etc. In order to survive we also need the love and support from strong rich relationships which we have with family, friends and work collagues; with the support of strong relationships with others we begin to gain our self esteem and find our place within communities. Self esteem can be found through our achievements and recognition and respect we again from our peers.


As learning managers we need to teach our students the appropriate behaviours and skills required to meet the criteria of Mazlows Heirachy of Needs in order to survive out in the community. The classroom should be a place where students can model, learn and practice these vital skills therefore preparing them for community life.


After reading Kunc's reading; it reminded me of an article I read in the Courier Mail not long ago. it was an article about an independent learning centre that has been set up at Toolooa State High School. It is a virtual classroom where the students are taught how to be able to live independently in their own place. Students are able to practice skills such as personal health, real estate (renting, morgages), money (budgeting, paying bills) and baby care. It made me wish that I was given the opportunity to learn skills like this while still at school; as I still live at home with my parents moving out of home and fending for myself does scare me just a bit.


Here is the link to the article. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!


0 comments:



Post a Comment